Friday, May 11, 2007

We have rules here

Tony nominations are announced next week! One of Playbill.com's greatest services, in my opinion, is reporting the decisions made about eligibility by the Tony Administration Committee. Only Broadway shows are eligible for Tonys, as you probably know, but even within that category there are puzzles to solve every year. What constitutes a "revival"? At what point does the music in a non-musical become a contender for Best Score? And, of course, the big question: where do you draw the line between "leading" and "featured" actors? Following all of the contractual and political finagling that go into these determinations is a bit too wonky for me, but I do enjoy reading down the list of what was in dispute, and what decisions were made. And I love it when they have to make a call about something that you just know won't be an issue come nominations time. For example: "Patrick Page will be the only actor from Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas eligible for a Lead Actor in a Musical Tony nomination." I'm glad we got that sorted out!

Sorry blogging has been light this week -- I'm tied up with other things. And this morning I woke up to the most horrible, shrill, repetitive beeping sound you can imagine, echoing along my street. It seems one of the construction sites that surround my building is hosting a project that requires a great deal of backing up from a truck with the world's most horrible back-up noise. (Not to be confused with the Geddup Noise.) It's been going on for hours now, and so I'm pretty sure I won't be spending much more time in my apartment today. I'll give the construction workers a dirty look as I walk past. That'll show 'em.

No comments: