Friday, September 7, 2007

Holliday weekend

More later, but right now I just want to let you all know that tonight, Friday September 7, Turner Classic Movies is airing a three-film tribute to Judy Holliday! From the official schedule:
    8:00 PM The Marrying Kind (1952)
    A judge forces a divorcing couple to think back on the problems that drove them apart. Cast: Judy Holliday, Aldo Ray, Madge Kennedy. Dir: George Cukor. BW-92 mins, TV-G, CC

    9:45 PM Phffft! (1954)
    A couple divorce but can't stop getting mixed up in each other's lives. Cast: Judy Holliday, Jack Lemmon, Kim Novak. Dir: Mark Robson. BW-88 mins, TV-G

    11:30 PM Full of Life (1956)
    A married couple has to deal with pregnancy and the husband's meddling father. Cast: Judy Holliday, Richard Conte, Salvatore Baccaloni. Dir: Richard Quine. BW-91 mins, TV-G, Letterbox Format
I've only seen the first, and I wrote about it here in July. And I gushed about Judy (and Born Yesterday) back in February. Tonight I'm hoping to catch one of the others -- I'd love to check out Phffft!, which is probably not nearly as good as It Should Happen to You (another, slightly earlier Holliday/Lemmon comedy), but which must, at least, be better than its title. Honestly, Phffft!? This TCM article tells me that the original tagline was, "Don't say it -- see it!" They left out the next part, which I believe was something like, "And then don't tell your friends about it, even if you like it, because you'll sound stupid trying to say it!"

Now that I've landed there, I may spend the rest of the day poking around the TCM website. So maybe you won't get more later. I have a lot of ground to cover over there.

No comments: