Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Not that kind of "restricted"

I forgot, yesterday, to include the one other frequent search that leads people here. But it popped up on my results again today:

nude pictures of Johnny Galecki

Call me naive, but I didn't think "nude pictures of Celebrity X" was something that people actually searched for; I think of it as something most people struggle to avoid as they go about their business online. But let the record show that there are people, or perhaps just one person, determined to find the abovementioned images, and somehow they keep ending up here at Restricted View. (I'm sure this post will only exacerbate that problem.) To those people (or that one very determined person), I offer my apologies; you will find no nude pictures of Mr. Galecki, or anyone else, here. But I don't feel sorry for you, because if you really wanted to see Johnny Galecki naked, you had plenty of opportunities during the run of The Little Dog Laughed, which featured (as the content warnings put it) "brief homosexual nudity." And it's not like tickets were hard to come by. Perhaps the Broadway producers should have retitled the show -- would you have bought a ticket to see Brief Homosexual Nudity?

Coincidentally, I was just thinking about Johnny Galecki yesterday. I was doing a rather mindless data-entry job, and I turned on the TV to occupy my brain. Did you know that Roseanne is on pretty much nonstop all afternoon on Oxygen? I was never a fan during its run, but it's a perfect show for half-watching. I caught two-and-a-half episodes from the era when "David," Galecki's character, was living with the Conners, and although he was not naked at any time, I almost wished he were, because: what was with those cardigans? Who decided that grandpa-sweaters should be that character's signature thing? He looks ridiculous, and that's saying a lot considering he's on Roseanne, a show where everybody looks bad all the time. That sitcom is like a festival of bad hair.

Let me make this post nominally about theatre by soliciting your comments. Nudity onstage: gimmicky, distracting, courageous? What have your experiences been like?

No comments: