Tuesday, March 11, 2008

They said Wainscoting on the television!

Yesterday evening, while everyone else was reading all about the disgraced governor of my adopted state -- Eliot "I just met her; does that make it inappropriate for me to" Spitzer -- I was checking out this New York Times article about Hillary Clinton's Scranton-area roots. This morning, over breakfast, I checked out the Scranton Times-Tribune for local coverage of Hillary's campaign stop. It's always fun to see Scranton in the news, especially for reasons not related to The Office, and this isn't your typical "swing state is suddenly significant to politicians" story.

Is Hillary my candidate? I don't really know. I'm registered as an independent (which is a whole other conversation), so I haven't had to make a decision, and I've had less patience than usual with the foolishness that makes up 90% of political discourse. So I'm purely a spectator so far. But I will say that I have yet to see a photo of Obama or McCain sitting in a booth at Revello's with a slice of the world's best pizza in front of him. And an image like this is extremely persuasive, I must say. I'm getting hungry just looking at it. Anyway, the really big news from home is that Hillary plans to be back in Scranton for the St. Patrick's Day parade on Saturday. As the article notes, Obama has made no such promise. Perhaps he'd feel out of place wearing a "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" button -- but my husband observed that he could always try adding an apostophe to his surname for the day. O'Bama? What county are you from?

I didn't plan to take a blog-break, but there are many claims on my attention right now. My TWoP responsibilities, for one thing -- the people must have their recaps! RCIA activities in my parish are keeping me busy as we get closer and closer to Easter, and I'm trying to pay more attention to my own spiritual health as well. Much of my efforts have centered on what I'm reading, and the book I'm in the middle of now -- Faith Beyond Resentment, by James Alison -- is blowing my mind. So that's getting me excited about a bunch of other things on my to-read list. In fact, I may not resubscribe to The New Yorker, or anything else, after Easter, now that I've rediscovered the joy of reading these wonderful things called "books"! It turns out I can get along without a weekly dose of "Talk of the Town." Who knew. And then there are all the little errands that fill my days -- I just got a new cell phone, and switched plans (but not numbers) so that the husband and I can save some cash. So getting used to that will be a challenge -- I haven't even activated the new phone yet, and I can already tell that choosing the least-bad ringtone option is going to take some time. I have paperwork on my desk that I can't seem to get to: taxes, insurance claim forms, etc. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with my wedding dress, and I'm trying to finish up my share of the thank-you notes while people still remember our wedding. So please continue to have patience as I wrestle my life into order!

No comments: