Friday, August 15, 2008

Weekend roundup

Some odds and ends for you on this Assumption Friday. First of all, I've posted a review of the new movie Henry Poole Is Here at dotCommonweal. If you've seen ads for this movie, you might have wondered, is this a heartwarming feel-good story or a quirky indie flick? The short answer is: it wants to be both and ends up being neither. I don't know when I've seen a movie that seemed to be trying so hard yet left such a slight impression.

For more recommended reading, I suggest you visit The Big Jewel. You're probably already in the habit of stopping by there weekly. But in case you're not, you should make a special trip, because this week's piece -- "Mariposa Barbie Welcomes Fair Trade Doll To Fairytopia," by John Frank -- is one of my all-time favorites.

Finally, I want to inform you all that Fresh Direct and I have patched up our differences, after a truly tireless effort on the part of the customer service department to reach out to me (in spite of my never answering my phone during the day). They ended up issuing me a credit, which was quite generous and not at all necessary, and my next order arrived without incident. In fact, I think I might schedule another one now... I love happy endings, don't you?

No comments: