Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Life outside the Wicked stage

Spotted an hour ago: 2006 Tony nominee and current Wicked cast member Jayne Houdyshell! Only this afternoon, as I walked past the Circle in the Square theatre complex where Wicked and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee are playing, did I learn that Houdyshell is now filling the role of Madame Morrible. For just a second, I felt a tiny flicker of interest in actually seeing Wicked. Then I remembered Idina's performance of "Defying Gravity" at the 2004 Tonys, and that tiny flicker died down, and I went on with my day.

[It is always a weird experience to look up clips like that on YouTube, intending to link to them without further commentary, trusting that their awfulness will be self-evident... and at the same time knowing that the only reason they're on YouTube in the first place is that someone somewhere thinks they're the awesomest thing ever and wants to share the awesomeness with you. I almost feel guilty taking advantage of other people's enthusiasm for my own derisive ends.]

Anyway, when I left work this evening, there she was, having a smoke outside the theatre. I realize it is probably not such a blogworthy "sighting," spotting a person standing outside her place of work. And it looked like she was talking to some young people, potentially Wicked groupies, who then posed for a photo with... some other guy. Which means I probably had a simultaneous and, in some circles, far more exciting actor-sighting and didn't know it. But I needed something to post today, all right? My favorite part of the whole thing is that Jayne was standing beneath a sign affixed to an adjacent parking garage that said: PARK HERE FOR WICKED / FROZEN. Looks like somebody was counting on an unrealistically long run... but we're coming up on three years, fellas. Seems like enough time to change (or cover) the bottom half of the sign.


Daytime layabouts, take note! Tomorrow afternoon, TCM is marking Judy Holliday's birthday by airing a handful of her movies. They're not showing my favorite, It Should Happen to You, but if you've been hankering to see Born Yesterday since I recommended it months ago, this is your chance! Also on the docket: Adam's Rib -- tune in for the Judy, stay for the Tracy-Hepburn battle of the sexes -- and two I haven't seen (yet), The Marrying Kind and Full of Life.

No comments: