Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Fill the bowl to overflowing, raise the goblet high!

Attention, theatre lovers: Speech & Debate has been extended at the Roundabout's new Off-Broadway black box space! Did I mention that the playwright, one Stephen Karam, and I go way back? Oh, yeah, I did. But did I mention that I saw the show a few weeks ago, while it was still in previews, and enjoyed it very much? No, I didn't, because wedding nonsense has turned me into a bad blogger generally and a bad theatre blogger in particular. Fortunately, Speech & Debate doesn't need my help, because it received lots of great reviews after its opening last week. Hurrah for Steve!

Back in our own high school speech-and-debate/drama-club days, we used to email back and forth about theatre coverage in the NYT and on Playbill.com, so it's exciting, and deeply surreal, for me to be reading about Steve in those same spots now. And nothing has been more surreally thrilling than these opening-night pictures of him with Mary Rodgers. Stephen was probably too modest to tell her this himself, but take it from an assistant stage manager (with evidence to prove it): Once Upon a Mattress has never had a more charismatic and lovable Prince Dauntless.

Photo by Walter McBride/Retna Ltd. for Broadwayworld.com.

No comments: